Re: New Campaign to Sue Patent Trolls

____/ 7 on Sunday 10 Jul 2011 16:30 : \____

> Roy Schestowitz wrote:

>> ____/ 7 on Sunday 10 Jul 2011 14:58 : \____

>>> It probably won't work as the source of the problem
>>> remains the patent office.
>>>
>>> At this rate you may as well sue the patent office and the
>>> judiciary for allowing patent trolling to wreck free market
>>> which leads to abject failure.
>>>
>>> The problem is the US patent office - it is very supportive
>>> of patent trolls and have themselves become the instrument
>>> of government sponsored patent trolling.
>>>
>>> The EFF needs to wade in and make some noise on the
>>> issue regularly to change the way patent litigation
>>> is practiced. Its all heavily weighted in the interests of
>>> patent trollards and thats just not what the system
>>> was set up and designed to do.
>>>

>>> The patent office needs to wade in and recommend patent trolling creates
>>> victims and the courts and prove to all its critics
>>> that the patent office will never side with patent trolls in principle
>>> and wherever possible in practice. They have done this before
>>> with submarine patents which is another form of patent trolling
>>> where patent trolls abused due process to extend grant date way way after
>>> a product has come into common use.
>>>
>>> For current round of patent trolls, the rules on patent enforcement
>>> practice has be based on good practice that makes sense for
>>> a free market to work without the patent office and patent law courts
>>> being itself the main obstacle to free market.
>>>
>>> So, the patent office needs to rule on how patent litigation is
>>> practiced to make the system fair:
>>>
>>> 1. No patent litigation is valid unless those accused have been given
>>>    30 days of advanced publicly disseminable
>>>    notice to desist citing the EXACT legal reason
>>>    citing the patent number and relevant paragraph in clear an
>>>    unambiguous form - a form that will be presented to the courts with no
>>>    further additional claims. If new claims are added, the accused must
>>>    be notified again for 30 days before it can be presented in a court.
>>>    These publicly disseminable notices should be allowed to be posted in
>>>    public forums for victims to get community help and reduce their costs
>>>    particularly if they are a small firm.
>>>
>>> 2. Any company that uses patent portfolio as a weapon for patent trolling
>>>    should find its damages serious cut and costs awarded against them
>>>    if it can be shown that the accused is also a victim of intentional
>>>    patent trolling. The courts should have the right to over rule any and
>>>    all NDAs that may hinder this process to discover this information.
>>>
>>> The courts and patent office have no rights to be distorting
>>> the free market by allowing patent trolls to flourish through extortion
>>> and hindering the free market.
>>>
>>> The patent office and patent courts need to review how
>>> they operate frequently to ensure they are never again
>>> the source of future variants of patent trolling and free market
>>> interference.
>>
>> Your proposal, like many others, would improve the function of patent
> [...]

Yes, just watch what the USPTO head said (posted 15 minutes ago: http://techrights.org/2011/07/10/david-kappos-disappoints/ ).
He clearly wants more monopolies because it's business to him. Compare
that to what developers want http://techrights.org/2011/07/10/casting-shadow-on-w3c/

The patent issue has become the #1 issue for Linux and FOSS.

- --