Re: Linux Tablets Rapidly Get Better and Better, Now Toshiba's

____/ Homer on Wednesday 13 Jul 2011 18:42 : \____

> Verily I say unto thee, that chrisv spake thusly:
>> Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>>
>>> Toshiba Thrive tablet offers Android 3.1, full-sized ports
>>
>> Slight change of subject, but I was just looking at the specs for th
>> Nvidia Tegra 2 chip that this, and other, tablets are using.  Wow,
>> what an amazing device.  It's like Nvidia did all the work for you!
>
> Qualcomm's Snapdragon MDP MSM8660 whips Nvidia's ass:
>
> http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1050968
> http://www.anandtech.com/show/4243/dual-core-snapdragon-gpu-performance-1-5-ghz-msm8660-adreno-220-benchmarks/2
> http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=qualcomm_snapdragon_mdp&num=1
>
> Here's a long but interesting article on the subject:
>
> [quote]
> It's been less than six months since we wrote our overview about the
> future of mobile CPU affairs, and there is already a need for an update,
> in light of the movers, shakers, and twists of fate, so we ought to
> follow up. Four major things happened - ARM revealed its Cortex-A15
> "Eagle" chipset plans, Samsung came out with its dual-core Orion
> creation, NVIDIA successfully slipped Tegra 2 under the door of Android
> handset manufacturers desperate for a standout feature, and Microsoft
> bowed under peer pressure, announcing it will embrace ARM-based chipsets
> for Windows too.

> All we can say about the NVIDIA Tegra 2 chipset is "well-played, NVIDIA,
> well-played". The company's dual-core silicon might not be the fastest
> or most efficient, but it beat everybody to the punch in a time when
> cell phone manufactures were desperately looking for differentiating
> factors in the sea of Android handsets.

> [Page 2]
>
> But since we are spoiled brats, we will pay more attention to the third
> generation of the Snapdragon chipset, which will have two cores at up to
> 1.2GHz, and even 1.5GHz, possibly for tablets. Qualcomm demoed all kinds
> of trickery with them at the CES show, including stereoscopic 3D video
> with HD resolution, multi-party video conferencing, and fascinating
> gaming physics on the new Adreno 220 GPU. Unlike Tegra 2, the dual-core
> arrangement in the 3rd gen Snapdragon can selectively turn off one of
> the cores completely, thus being more power-efficient.
>
> One of these chipsets even has all 3G radios known to man inside, so it
> can play nice with all four major US carriers, if needed. For now it is
> confirmed that the Asus EeePad MeMO Honeycomb tablet will be running a
> dual-core Snapdragon inside, but itâs not coming until the summer. Have
> a look at a quick video about the platform
>
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9zO5rX5tL1Y
> [/quote]
>
> http://www.phonearena.com/news/NVIDIA-Tegra-2-Samsung-Exynos-and-Qualcomm-Snapdragon-the-3rd-the-dual-core-chipsets-and-beyond_id16004

Freescale demo'd quad-core on test silicon last month and it will be
released in 2012 (to the public). They only work with Linux for
now. The interviewer asked about Windows support and the Freescale
guy showed total disinterest. I can't find that video now, but see
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vw3eyhU3Gv8 instead.

- --