Re: "Debian installation tailored specifically toward the needs of an older laptop."

____/ Sneaky Weasel on Friday 02 Sep 2011 04:53 : \____

> Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>>
>> ____/ JeffM on Friday 02 Sep 2011 02:08 : \____

>>> Well, it's an incremental improvement in lightness
>>> --certainly not a quantum leap in the continuum of
>>> KDE, GNOME, Xfce, LXDE.
>>>
>>> Now, WRT RAM use there is a notable difference.
>>> I saw a guy in the Mint forum list the heft for several idling
>>> distros.
>>> 91MB / 103MB (v10 / v11) doesn't seem too awful.  8-)
>>> http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=175&t=75919#p440757
>>>
>>> He also includes the disk space used by those (2.2GB/3.8GB)
>>> so that *is* growing significantly over time.

>>> Yup, there's that as well.  (Mint LXDE is still based on Ubuntu.)
>>> His mentioning Mint so cavalierly bugged be without a bit of detail.
>>> ...and your "cruft" may be someone else's "necessary and easy".
>>
>> Adobe Trash will be unnecessary when all browsers in use support WebM
>> and this capability in YouTube exits beta :-)
>
> Adobe refuses to support Linux so I say Fuck'm.  The web will be better off
> without them.

They tried going standards based with some new products, but they failed.
Adobe now uses Reader as a Trojan to installing other Adobe software.

BTW, Okular does everything Reader does and does it better.

- --