Re: [News] [Rival] "<Vendor> Recommend Vista" is a Big Paid-for Lie

____/ Homer on Thursday 14 August 2008 01:02 : \____

> Verily I say unto thee, that Linonut spake thusly:
>> * Ezekiel peremptorily fired off this memo:
>
>>> "Recommend - (transitive verb): To endorse"
>>>
>>> Oh yeah... how scary and illegal this is. We can't have people or
>>> companies actually endorse or recommend things can we.
>
> Let's make it clearer, since you're obviously having difficulty with the
> English language:
>
> rec·om·mend
> –verb (used with object)
> 1.    to present as worthy of confidence, acceptance, use, etc.;
>         commend; mention favorably: to recommend an applicant for a job;
>         to recommend a book.
>
> http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=recommend
>
> Note: "worthy of confidence, acceptance, use"
>
> So on the one hand, "Lenovo 'recommends' Vista", but on the other hand
> when it comes to actually using it they have no confidence in it because
> "if it's not stable, it could have some problems."
>
> IOW when they claim that they "recommend" Vista, Lenovo are *lying*.
>
> Just like probably /every/ other OEM.
>
> It's not a "recommendation" at all, it's a contractual obligation to
> *lie* about a product, just as I've always suspected.
>
>> In other words, disguising advertising deal as a recommendation.
>
> Personally, I think that keeping those MoUs secret should be illegal. I
> want to see a copy of those contracts, and expose to the world the utter
> corruption that forces OEMs to "recommend" something that they clearly
> don't.
>
>> Watch out for the cow pies:
>
> Isn't that what Sweaty has for breakfast? The garbage that comes out of
> his mouth certainly smells like bullshit, anyway.

Lenovo is definitely not alone. Acer's boss had spoken to other OEMs and said
that the entire industry is disappointed with Vista. It would not surprise me
if the Mafia paid him to put "recommends Vista" in his site, or threatened to
raise the prices and take him out of business if he doesn't (that's the way it
typically works).

A year later he also publicly complained about Microsoft's pressure tactics (I
think it was  a representative). Maybe they retaliated against him after he
had said the truth.

- --
                ~~ Best of wishes

Roy S. Schestowitz      | One, Two, Free Open Source Software (FOSS)