Re: [wp-hackers] Mailman-style Blog Archiving

  • To: wp-hackers@lists.automattic.com
  • Subject: Re: [wp-hackers] Mailman-style Blog Archiving
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <r@schestowitz.com>
  • Date: Mon, 2 May 2005 16:51:52 +0100
  • Delivery-date: Mon, 02 May 2005 16:51:52 +0100
Quoting Scott Merrill <skippy@skippy.net>:

We already have "full context" in comment anchors on a single post
becomes awkward, as the entire page needs to be loaded and displayed...
A single comment display would be extremely useful as the discussion
continues and possibly evolves over time.
(As I said, my biggest complaint is loading an entire thread of comments
when I want to only refer to a single one)

I envision the "single comment display" being a template, just like (or
perhaps part of) single.php.  Individual blog admins could style their
single comment / post template as they want.  If you want "full
context", use that.  If you prefer more granularity, use that.
The only requirement is that granular comment display requires ?c=X
querystring support.

I strongly agree on the point of flat structure and lack of heirarchy. In principle, WordPress has a very flat chronological structure (as one would expect from a blog), but this verges the impractical in large discussions. I installed PHP-Nuke yesterday and it seems miles ahead of WordPress because its structure is very clear, comments can be nested, moderated and even trigger events. Since its is also GPL'd, perhaps its worth importing and re-using some bits?

Roy S. Schestowitz
http://Schestowitz.com