Re: [linux-users] PC sold with Linux

  • To: Daniel Botting <zen78553@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [linux-users] PC sold with Linux
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <r@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 10 Nov 2005 12:23:30 +0000
  • Cc: linux-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Delivery-date: Thu, 10 Nov 2005 12:24:12 +0000
_____/ On Thu 10 Nov 2005 08:23:51 GMT, [John Logsdon] wrote : \_____

On Thu, 10 Nov 2005, Daniel Botting wrote:

Dear All,

Just a note of interest Ebuyer are selling a PC with no monitor for
£149.99 including VAT that comes pre-loaded with Linux (I think, distro
it does not advise) as below:

http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/products/index.html?action=c2hvd19wcm9kdWN0X292ZXJ2aWV3&product_uid=89079

Dan <*>

Sound similar to the following offer from Dabs:

http://tinyurl.com/8q8t2

...Not recommended though. The first machine got shipped with Mandrake 9.2
and  the  hard-drive died after just 5 days. I had to chase Dabs to get  a
replacement  after  no less than a month. The second time it  was  shipped
with SuSE 9.3 (only CD's 1-3). No problems so far...

... and it is in their best sellers list.

An excellent way to sell hardware without the MS licence cost.  It shows
how much we are all paying The Bill.  At £127+VAT it is a must if I were
looking for even more hardware at the moment, although the hardware spec
is a little thin (what is a parrarel port?)...

We can now wait for all other PC sellers to start bundling Linux with
their kit and watch them run out of the stores.  I can't wait for PC World

Good tip.

John

I  still can't believe that for 1,000 pounds you can get an army of 7  ma-
chines  in your house. It comes to show that the price of hardware  verges
the cost of producing software.

Roy

PS - The hard-drive was a Maxtor, by the way, so there is no justification
for blaming cheap hardware.

--
Roy S. Schestowitz      |    Coffee makes mw to0 jittery
12:15pm  up 7 days  8:13,  4 users,  load average: 0.71, 0.62, 0.32