Re: [linux-users] PC sold with Linux

  • To: adam moore <Adam.Moore@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [linux-users] PC sold with Linux
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <r@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 10 Nov 2005 14:03:13 +0000
  • Cc: linux-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Delivery-date: Thu, 10 Nov 2005 14:04:13 +0000
_____/ On Thu 10 Nov 2005 13:30:56 GMT, [adam moore] wrote : \_____

On Thu, 10 Nov 2005, Roy Schestowitz wrote:

_____/ On Thu 10 Nov 2005 08:23:51 GMT, [John Logsdon] wrote : \_____

> On Thu, 10 Nov 2005, Daniel Botting wrote:
>
>> Dear All,
>>
>> Just a note of interest Ebuyer are selling a PC with no monitor for
>> £149.99 including VAT that comes pre-loaded with Linux (I think, distro
>> it does not advise) as below:

The review info shows the distro to be Mandrake 10.2 - looks like a decent
machine with good feedback - this is why I like buying from ebuyer - the
reviews from users are usually really informative in both buying and
support issues.

Dr Adam Moore
adam.moore@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

I forgot to point out an important nugget of information, which came up in the newsgroups a few months back. The exact same eSys base get sold with Windows as well. The price in Froogle hovers around the GBP 250 mark (not far from *half price* for us).

As  regards  the operating system, I wiped Mandrake 9.2 and put Ubuntu  on
it.  Ubuntu liked the hardware, which comes to show it is friendly to  and
is  honoured  by  a  variety of Linux 'flavours'. The video  card  can  be
slightly tricky and the sound card's master volume has proven to be diffi-
cult in the past. This is by no means a deterrent.

Roy S. Schestowitz
http://Schestowitz.com