Re: lyx ieeetran style

  • To: Roy <r@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: lyx ieeetran style
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <r@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 14 Dec 2005 05:48:36 +0000
  • Delivery-date: Wed, 14 Dec 2005 05:46:27 +0000

You said:
> Hi,
> I found your email about ieee document style on your website, and I'd
> like to ask you a detail... I run lyx 1.3.6 on Mac OS X, and after
> adding IEEEtran.cls (manually, one month ago...) I was able to start  a
> new document using this template; however, I still can't manage to  add
> my photo, replacing that ugly "place photo here" box in the  biography
> section... maybe it's something about IEEEtrantools.sty,  never heard
> about it except on that email. Have you got any suggestion?
> Many thanks for the attention,
> bye

Hi,

I heard about a very similar problem (identical?) in the LyX-users
mailing list. It was about 2-3 weeks ago. Somebody had a hard time
inserting a photo into the IEEE template and, unless it was yourself,
you are not alone in this. I currently work on an IEEE submission
myself, but I tend to use LaTeX for anything that is very strict when it
comes to templates and is often using many other packages, as defined in
the preamble. See my latest post in the mailing list if you are curious.

Basically, I find LyX to be a very powerful tool, but it is hard to
replace LaTeX altogether. What I suggest you do if you struggle with
this is export your .lyx file as LaTeX at the very end and then copy and
paste the output onto the sample TeX file, which the IEEE provides.
Insertion of a photo is then made trivial and it is illustrated within
the templates usually. I wish the IEEE provided a collection of
'official' LyX templates. Eve the IEEE has got a variety of template for
its different journals and conferences. It sure seems to be the case.

Hope it helps,