Re: [wp-hackers] Tags in 2.0

  • To: wp-hackers@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: [wp-hackers] Tags in 2.0
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <r@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 15 Dec 2005 03:09:20 +0000
  • Delivery-date: Thu, 15 Dec 2005 03:09:21 +0000
_____/ On Thu 15 Dec 2005 01:10:03 GMT, [Nik Cubrilovic] wrote : \_____

Hi Everyone, I have an idea for tag's in 2.0 - and that is to add a
drop down to the link editing pop-up that specifies the rel for the
link. The drop-down will have 'none', and 'tag' and then possible XFN
options ('my site', 'friend' etc.). I know that this is happening with
weblog links, but I haven't seen anybody yet do this with content
links. So has it been done, should it be done? Asking before I go away
and actually do it.

I believe that WordPress 2.0 attempts to embrace ease-of-use and simplici-
ty. Many technical people have a blog already. A rich (graphical) text ed-
itor  will probably prove tagging to quite clumsy and confusing to  users.
In  the  case of quicktags (a la WordPress 1.x), tagging could  easily  be
made  an option, but again, it probably adds to complexity and clutter. It
can  also  slow  the user down -- especially one who  is  uninterested  in
'rel'.

And on another note - is there a spell-checker that is working with
2.0, and will there be a standard spell checker included in base?

You have two possibilities: exploit the native spellchecker using, for ex-
ample,  a browser plug-in. You could alternatively use the spellchecker on
the  Web server, if any are available (e.g. aspell) and incorporate it  in
the  same fashion as other OSS packages. This is often not ideal, but with
AJAX,  a 'check spelling as you type' could be achieved, then embedded  in
the rich text editor in particular.

Either  way, WordPress need not provide a spellchecker, but it  can/should
use one as a service.