Re: [wp-hackers] Comment Meta

  • To: wp-hackers@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: [wp-hackers] Comment Meta
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <r@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 15 Jan 2006 16:46:10 +0000
  • Delivery-date: Sun, 15 Jan 2006 16:46:11 +0000
_____/ On Sat 14 Jan 2006 16:21:24 GMT, [Owen Winkler] wrote : \_____
Jeff Minard wrote:
Mark Jaquith wrote:
This would obviously be a consideration for WP 2.1 or beyond, but how do you all feel about comment meta data?

In the same way that data can be attached to posts with Custom Fields, I've wanted to attach meta data to comments.

+1 from me. Just today I ran across an instance when I thought, "Gosh, I could use some comment meta data here. Oh well!"

There is a request on the Geo plugin for attaching geographic coordinates to comments. I'm not sure exactly where the data would originate from, but there isn't anywhere to store it if not in a commentmeta table.

When Mark pointed this out, the GeoComments plugin was the first to cross my mind. A past discussion with Brian Lalor raised the issue of extending the comments table. The following explained what he had initially implemented.

http://comox.textdrive.com/pipermail/wp-hackers/2005-November/003213.html

<quote>
It looks like, in order to store the additional geographical
information about the comment, I will have to create my own table in
the DB.  Is this correct?  Is there any existing mechanism for
storing arbitrary data about a comment?

I'd say that's the first thing I'm struggling with.  Once I'm able to
store the content, enabling a Page or post with this capability will
be simply adding a custom field or checking a box when editing the
post.  I'll probably provide another PHP template that will provide
the comments as an XML file to be consumed by the mapping code.
<quote>

Final product is here:

http://bravo5.org/blog/2005/11/17/testing-the-geocomments-plugin/