Re: [linux-users] Update manager in Ubuntu

  • To: Manchester Linux Users Group <linux-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [linux-users] Update manager in Ubuntu
  • From: David Sumbler <david@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 29 Jan 2006 20:15:06 +0000
  • Delivery-date: Sun, 29 Jan 2006 20:16:41 +0000
David Sumbler <david@xxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

<snip>

> I picked up the Ubuntu CDs, and thought I'd install it on a spare
> partition on my machine.

<snip>

> The "Update Notifier" on the Gnome toolbar tells me that there are
> 56 updates available, yet I can't get it to do anything useful.
> When I click on anything (such as "Install all updates" or "Show
> updates") either nothing whatsoever happens, or (depending on what I
> am trying to do) I get a box asking for my password.  I put my user
> password in, and then it goes into doing-nothing-whatsoever mode.
>
> I even reinstalled everything, but got exactly the same result.  Can
> someone give me an explanation of this?

Further to the above, and the several replies received, I have now
found time to investigate this further.

The problem was with the /etc/sudoers file.  Ubuntu, supposedly, is
set up so that users can run admin commands via sudo.  When I looked
at the /etc/sudoers file I found this:

*****

# /etc/sudoers
#
# This file MUST be edited with the 'visudo' command as root.
#
# See the man page for details on how to write a sudoers file.
#

# Host alias specification

# User alias specification

# Cmnd alias specification

# Defaults

Defaults	!lecture,tty_tickets,!fqdn

# User privilege specification
root	ALL=(ALL) ALL

*****

I added the line:

david   ALL=(ALL) ALL

and immediately everything worked as it is supposed to.  I suppose I
could have used:

%users  ALL=(ALL) ALL

Can somebody confirm that this is what should be present in the file,
or is there a better way of doing it?  I have never bothered with sudo
before - I just use 'su' or log in as root.

I think that perhaps the problem arose because I did an "expert"
install of Ubuntu, since I wanted to be able to have control over the
partitioning of the HDD and the choice of partitions to be used.
During the installation process, I was surprised when I was asked for
a password for root, since I had read that Ubuntu, as installed,
doesn't have a root password.  Perhaps that is true if you do a fully
automated install.

I have two further questions arising out of the above; if anybody can
provide me with answers I shall be very grateful:

1) Is it true that the Ubuntu installer can safely resize a Windows XP
   partition, and will it do this on an automatic (non-"expert")
   install?

2) I am used to KDE, and got in a terrible tangle with the menu system
   in Gnome.  When I entered "applications-all-users:///" in the
   location bar in Nautilus, as suggested by the Gnome "Help", I was
   told that it was an invalid location (I forget the exact error
   message).  I even tried it with "sudo nautilus" after I had amended
   /etc/sudoers, but still with no success.  Can anyone explain what
   the problem might be?

David

--

david@xxxxxxxxxxxx