Re: Call for moderation and mediation: debian-live vs. debian-live-ng

Dear fellow DDs,

> Russ Allbery writes ("Re: Call for moderation and mediation: debian-live vs. debian-live-ng"):
>> Daniel's relationship with the project have not been good
>
> This is of course very relevant background.  (I myself have been
> strongly critical of some things Daniel has done.)
>
> However, calling something "foo-ng" without the consent of the author
> and present maintainer of "foo" is an extremely hostile act.[1]  (And
> that doesn't depend on whether the maintainer of "foo" is a full DD or
> what.)  It is also completely unnecessary in almost all cases.
>
> I think in this case that choice of name was gratuitously aggressive,
> and inexcusable.  Iain says that this choice of name wasn't intended
> that way.  Perhaps so.  But when Iain and Neil were asked to please
> choose a different name, their response to Daniel's very reasonable
> request was to dig their heels in rather than seek accomodation.
>
> Daniel's reaction to being rebuffed is unfortunate.  Maybe someone
> other than Daniel would have had a more measured reaction.  But I
> think what was done was quite a severe provocation.
>
> For once, Daniel is not in the wrong.
>
> Ian.
>
> [1] Consider what our collective response would be to an external
> group to setting up a project they are calling "Debian-NG".  We would
> be sending in our lawyers to nuke the site from orbit.
I would be very proud to be part of a project which could step back,
admit that taking over the "live" name this way was a mistake and
find a name which would not offend the Debian Live project which served
many users.
At least this is what I would do, and I would do it quickly.

Thanks,
Balint

PS: I have read the reasoning why debian-live was suboptimal in many
ways but those do not really matter here.