Re: Code of Conduct complaint about Linus's comments at DC14

On Wed, Sep 03, 2014 at 12:29:32PM +0100, Ian Jackson wrote:

> Linus described the FSF as `bigots'. That is clearly beyond the
> pale.
>
> As part of that extended tirade he accused them of lying, in so many
> words. That is a very serious accusation which he didn't really back
> up. Under the circumstances I think at the very least he should have
> minced his words.

As someone who dislikes the aggressive tone that Linus often has in
the mailing lists (and thanks the people who stepped up to tell that
to him), I didn't quite see the problem in this case.

So he was asked about the GPLv3 and said that he felt the FSF had been
dishonest in the way they handled the process. He attributes that to
some people in the FSF who are in his opinion too extreme.

That seems to me like a legitimate argument, and if that's what he
thinks, how else is he supposed to explain something like that?

We're not talking here about hate speech or arbitrary insults because
of religion, gender, nationality, etc.

Now, I don't know how true those claims are, but if the FSF thinks
that he is lying and this is a case of defamation I think it's up to
the FSF to act, but I don't think an opinion of that kind is something
to be silenced by Debian.

Then there was the "bigoted people" part, which was certainly
unnecessary, but that he corrected immediately.

Berto