Re: Code of Conduct complaint about Linus's comments at DC14 :: Respect

On Sun, Sep 21, 2014 at 3:12 PM, Ben Hutchings <ben@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I don't know that it's 'OK'.  But if someone makes a joke about one of
> the above classes of people or about your being in one of those classes,
> particularly while you're at an IT conference in a wealthy conference,
> you are unlikely to feel threatened by it.

Personally, I am very unlikely to be threatened by any words and most
situations, agreed.

But that's not the point I was making. Our definition of "welcoming"
should not be the borderline minimum of "does not feel threatened" and
I strongly believe that it is not.

I was replying to the exact quote of:

-------------------------------------

On Sun, Sep 21, 2014 at 7:01 AM, Russell Coker <russell@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> The discussions about "humor" concern members of one group making "jokes"
> about members of a less privileged group.  For example if a woman makes a joke
> about men or a non-white person makes a joke about whites then it's not a
> problem.  But the reverse would be a problem.

Disregarding the oft-mentioned red herring, this is not about
threatening. It's about being derogatory towards someone who did not
consent to be verbally attacked/degraded and the explicit statement
that this is only a problem if a more privileged person does this
towards a less privileged person.

And this statement is fundamentally wrong.

Richard