Re: Code of Conduct complaint about Linus's comments at DC14

On Thu, Sep 04, 2014 at 03:13:22PM +0900, Mike Hommey wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 04, 2014 at 07:47:08AM +0200, Lucas Nussbaum wrote:
> > - We failed to stress the importance of the CoC to Linus. I'd like to point out
> >   that Debian used to be perceived as a community where flamewars and harsh
> >   language are common. The cultural switch that happened inside the project
> >   might not have transpired much outside yet, and it's very well possible that
> >   Linus was not aware of it.
>
> I wasn't there, but I saw the video. From seeing the video, it seems to
> me quite a few of the questioners threw flamebaits at Linus, sometimes
> quite aggressively. And all things considered, Linus didn't respond as
> you'd expect someone used to our flamewars would.
>
> So, I don't know if he was aware of the cultural change in Debian, but
> he sure did remained civil considering what was thrown at him.
> Seriously, with the way he was addressed at times, I wouldn't have been
> surprised if he had behaved much worse.
>
> So yeah, Linus may not have respected the CoC (fwiw I don't think he
> didn't respect it), he may not have a respectful behavior on
> occasions in the Linux kernel community (which is not our direct
> problem), he may not have the same views as some of us, but what I saw in
> that video told me more about Debian developers than about Linus. And
> not in a good way.

That's exactly my feeling there too. Some questions were very abrasive
and clearly meant to be provocative. He dealt with these attacks in a
very civil way, in my opinion. What was intriguing to me in these
questions is that it were as if some Debian members wanted to push the
rules of the Debian community to the kernel community.

I agree that Linus' remarks cited by the assistance are not something
that should happen between co-workers. Never, ever.

That being said, can we really judge stuff happening in another
community with our own rules? Isn't it somewhat imperialistic or
something? Are the reported facts bad enough to warrant a humanitarian
intervention to take the offender down? I'm not sure.

Plus, I fear a sort of Streisand effect, at best, if we publicize
anything about this session.

Bye, Mt.