Re: Code of Conduct complaint about Linus's comments at DC14 :: Respect

On Sun, Sep 21, 2014 at 03:01:29PM +1000, Russell Coker wrote:
> On Sun, 21 Sep 2014, Ron <ron@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > > The discussion of humor in such contexts usually seems to involves jokes
> > > about  minority groups.  Are jokes about your minority groups funny?  If
> > > so can you give us some examples?
> >
> > http://xkcd.com/306/
> > http://xkcd.com/424/
> > http://xkcd.com/456/
> > http://xkcd.com/797/
> >
> > Unless we're no longer a minority group ...
> >
> > And yes, not everyone might find all of those equally funny.
> > I welcome that diversity.
>
> Obviously my previous message wasn't clear enough.
>
> The discussions about "humor" concern members of one group making "jokes"
> about members of a less privileged group.  For example if a woman makes a joke
> about men or a non-white person makes a joke about whites then it's not a
> problem.  But the reverse would be a problem.
>
> The XKCD comics aren't a problem when another DD cites them (we can make jokes
> about the group that we are members of) and aren't inherently problemmatic
> because Randall is a member of the broader geek community.
>
> Now if Barak is going to advocate for an exemption to the CoC for "humor" then
> I think he could start by giving some examples of jokes that he would be happy
> for people to make about his religion/race.

Humor is personal.
Which means something funny for one person is not allways funny for other persons.

There is much more in life that is personal. Please accept that.

Asking / demanding to the respect a personal view/joke/expression
is the subtle difference between accepting and respecting.

I do accept that people find the e-mail thread with
Subject: Re: Code of Conduct complaint about Linus's comments at DC14 :: Respect
important.

I'm in doubt how to respect it. I tent it is about saying to others
that they should say other things.

On second thought:
 I do want the power to say to others that they say should something else.

Have fun with _my_ humor.

Geert Stappers

Yes, it is okay that this -private posting is published in a few years