Re: Code of Conduct complaint about Linus's comments at DC14

On Tue, 9 Sep 2014, Antoine Beaupré <anarcat@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> It's fascinating that people that are so adamant about defending freedom
> of speech end up so quickly telling people to stop questionning
> someone's opinion simply because that opinion may be considered
> offensive and boy, do we want to defend freedom of speech of in those
> cases.
>
> It goes two ways - freedom of speech probably includes the right to
> question freedom of speech itself. No?

Lots of people mistake freedom of speech for freedom from disagreement or the
freedom to force unwilling people to help spread their opinions.

Real freedom of speech allows people to freely disagree.  It also allows
people to refrain from using their own private resources to spread such
opinions.  Note that "private resources" means things like project mailing
lists not public libraries, the telephone system, or routing IP packets.