Re: Code of Conduct complaint about Linus's comments at DC14

On Wed, Sep 03, 2014 at 04:24:37PM -0500, Ean Schuessler wrote:

> One incident springs to my mind. Long ago, when Qt was closed source,
> Richard loudly took issue with the fact that SuSE distributed GPL
> code linked against the library. I pointed out that the FSF had
> distributed versions of Emacs that were linked against Motif on
> Solaris and, therefore, that the FSF seemed to interpret the GPL in
> whatever way fit their purposes at a given time. I also pointed out
> that this was doubly true since Qt shipped with SuSE for free on the
> same disk whereas Motif was a for-pay (and expensive) add on for
> Solaris (system library exception).
>
> Richard's carefully reasoned response was to scream "SHUT UP! SHUT UP!
> SHUT UP!" at me. I'm pretty sure that wouldn't have complied with the
> CoC. Unfortunately we didn't have one back then so I couldn't demand
> an apology.

I was more thinking about Stallman's "St. iGNUcious" shtick where he
talks about evil corporations peddling proprietary software.

Presumably this is at least as "derogatory" as using the word
"bigots", and according to the Debconf CoC, all "derogatory behavior"
is not to be tolerated.  Presumably this would (by Ian's apparent
interpretation) includes speaking out on anything which the speaker
views as immoral.....

				- Ted