Re: Scaling IMG

  • Subject: Re: Scaling IMG
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@schestowitz.com>
  • Date: Thu, 21 Apr 2005 06:43:36 +0100
  • Newsgroups: alt.html
Mark Parnell wrote:

> Previously in alt.html, Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@schestowitz.com>
> said:
>
>> I have been been searching the Web, trying to find a way of resizing
>> images while retaining the original aspect ratio.
>
> Even a basic image editing program should be able to handle that.

Although it is not a perfect analogy, it is similar to saying "I can make
this Web page in Word and it looks okay on my computer". I want to use the
powers of HTML/CSS rather than editing images.

>> I know I can use 'height' and
>> 'width', but finding out the necessary values for many images is
>> laborious.
>
> Yes, but resizing images in HTML is a bad idea anyway. Use a proper
> image editor.

But that's done off-line. What if I want to have one image displayed in two
different forms (sizes) without duplicating? Also, resizing in the usual
way involves no smoothing.

Roy S. Schestowitz
http://Schestowitz.com