Re: Running Firefox as default browser in KDE 3.2

  • Subject: Re: Running Firefox as default browser in KDE 3.2
  • From: Doug Laidlaw <laidlaws@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 15 Aug 2005 12:28:31 +1000
  • Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mandrake
Syd Hancock wrote:

> Doug Laidlaw wrote:
>
>> With Firefox set as my default browser, KDE tries to save Web
>> pages to my tmp/ directory and open them from there.  This is
>> rarely successful.
>
> It's a pain. I was really please a while back when I was told how
> to set this default correctly.
>
> 1. Go to Kmenu->System->Configuration->KDE->Components-> File
> Associations
> 2. Click on the + beside 'text' to expand, select 'html'
> 3. In 'Application Preference Order' select Firefox (or whatever)
> and use the buttons to move to the top of the list. This is now
> the default app.
> 4. Click on 'Edit' button then choose the 'Application' tab. On
> the command line for the app add ' %u' without quotes
> e.g. /usr/bin/mozilla-firefox %u
> 5. Click 'Advanced Options' button and deselect 'Enable Launch
> Feedback'
> 6. Click OK three times to close the three windows that you have
> opened.
>
> I find that this has to be redone each time updates for KDE are
> installed but once you know it it is a matter of seconds to flip
> through the screens.
>
> HTH
> Syd
> Norwich UK

Thanks Syd.  While Roy's solution would enable me to launch Firefox from
particular applications, I doubt whether it would cure the saving to /tmp/.
The obvious thing is to apply both.

Doug.
--
ICQ Number 178748389. Registered Linux User No. 277548.
The less we are attached to life, the more alive we can become.