Re: Running Firefox as default browser in KDE 3.2

Syd Hancock wrote:

> Doug Laidlaw wrote:
>
>> Syd Hancock wrote:

>>> It's a pain. I was really please a while back when I was told
>>> how to set this default correctly.
>>>
>>> 1. Go to Kmenu->System->Configuration->KDE->Components-> File
>>> Associations
>>> 2. Click on the + beside 'text' to expand, select 'html'
>>> 3. In 'Application Preference Order' select Firefox (or
>>> whatever) and use the buttons to move to the top of the list.
>>> This is now the default app.
>>> 4. Click on 'Edit' button then choose the 'Application' tab.
>>> On the command line for the app add ' %u' without quotes
>>> e.g. /usr/bin/mozilla-firefox %u
>>> 5. Click 'Advanced Options' button and deselect 'Enable Launch
>>> Feedback'
>>> 6. Click OK three times to close the three windows that you
>>> have opened.
>>>
>>> I find that this has to be redone each time updates for KDE
>>> are installed but once you know it it is a matter of seconds
>>> to flip through the screens.
>>>
>>> HTH
>>> Syd
>>> Norwich UK
>>
>> Thanks Syd.  While Roy's solution would enable me to launch
>> Firefox from particular applications, I doubt whether it would
>> cure the saving to /tmp/. The obvious thing is to apply both.
>>
>> Doug.
>
> You're welcome. Deselecting the 'Launch Feedback' definitely
> makes the whole thing function more smoothly. Other than that
> Roy and I are basically suggesting the same thing although I
> haven't  needed to set defaults for Kmail or Knode separately
> once Firefox is set as a KDE default - this may vary according
> to the version of KDE as I notice Roy mentioned an earlier
> version. Anyway, try it all out and see what works for you.

Yes, in my rusty version of KDE the browser binary gets input separately in
each application. In fact, under all major Internet applications that I use
(formerly KMail, KNode and RSSOwl), the extrenal browser needs it path
specified. There is looser integration, that's all.

Roy S. Schestowitz
http://Schestowitz.com