A9 (Amazon) Toolbar - Spyware?

Some of you may already know that the Alexa toolbar is not available for
Firefox. Yahoo, Google and Amazon (A9) all support Firefox as well as IE
(Opera and others neglected).

The following page

http://pages.alexa.com/exec/faqsidos/help/index.html?index=127

suggests that there is a blame game between Mozilla (Netscape) and Alexa.
That's possibly the reason for all of this incompatibility hassle. Spread
Firefox urge Firefox users to pressure Alexa to submit

http://www.spreadfirefox.com/?q=node/view/5223

while the former calls for Alexa enthusiasts to pressure the Firefox team.

Anyway, on to my main point: is the A9 toolbar spyware? I am currently
experimenting with it and it is really hard to judge by the network
traffic. Since A9 and Alexa are 'united', does that imply that A9 will spy
on users and send data to Alexa in order to improve their statistical
figures?

There are some speculations at:

http://www.mozillazine.org/talkback.html?article=5463

I can't find any definitive answer though.