Re: AdSense Context

_____/ On Thursday 25 August 2005 15:48, [www.1-script.com] wrote : \_____

> [...]
>> gets assigned to the page, it is likely to repeat itself.
>> Why am I mentioning this? Because it implies they do not necessarily
>> bind
>> adverts on-the-fly. They have a mechanism for saving assignments. Why
>> not
>> take the extra step and run some smarter algorithm off-line? I am sure
>> Google have some Ph.D.'s with background in language semantics. If not,
>> there will be plenty that are willing to join the club.
> They absolutely *DO* cache the general theme of the page between
> mediapartners/Google bot visits. Until the bot has actually been to the
> page, it gets assigned ads that are relevant to the general website
> content, sort of evenly weighted across your whole site. The bot visits
> pages on two weeks intervals, so here is your natural cache duration. If
> the page gets changed between the visits, the ads revert to the general
> site-theme ads. And let me tell you: if your general site-related ads are
> out of sync with what *YOU* think your site is about, you have a big time
> problem!  t is probably cluttered layout, typos or maybe some link spam on
> your site, and you can be sure that over time you will end up with all
> your search engine traffic be irrelevant if you see irrelevant AdSense ads
> too often.
>> Irrelevant ads damage the reliability of the content nonetheless. We
>> may not
>> realise this, but many visitors do not even know what AdSense mean. To
>> them, Google = that box that "goes to the Internet". The
>> visitor will
>> assume that the Webmaster manually selected or hand-coded the adverts.
>> As
>> the link I sent to Mikkel shows, these can sometimes be offensive if
>> not
>> sickening. They can definitely lose you visitors or have them discard a
>> page that has good and accurate content.
> Those ads are cute examples, but they are *NOT* AdSense ads. This site is
> about AdWords ads that come up on Google's own site when people get silly
> and search for silly keywords. There are power AdWords users out there
> that just suck in ANY list of keywords (silly ones included) and
> auto-generate silly ads that point to their eBay affiliate links.
> Once again, if your general ads are silly or offensive, you've got to take
> a really hard look at your site and find what triggers such ads instead of
> dismissing it as another example of Google stupidity. I've yet to see such
> example that has to do with Google and not its users that, like all
> humans, can get real stupid indeed.
>>> And it's only a matter of time before they will master relevance
>>> for other
>>> languages.
>> Klingon too?
> I've only gotten two cups of coffee this morning, so I didn't get that
> one. Is there a joke I'm ignorant of?  Let me know, I'd like to get a good

Mikkel and I discussed alternative language 'packs' for the Google
interface. Let me just grab the quote...

>>> Have you checked out the language options for their user interface? (The
>>> language you choose for Google commands and info).

>> Do they also have Klingon? That wouldn't strike me as surprising...

> Yes, they have Klingon, Pharmacists Latin, Bork Bork Bork!, Hacker,
> Interlingua, Esperanto and a dozen of things more, which I cannot tell for
> sure whether are languages or funny inventions. And, of course, my choice
> of the moment: Ewmew Fuddian...
> [Fun killer: These articifical languages are of course a luxury,
> [considering
> that there are still millions, probably billions, of people on earth who
> don't speak even one of the provided languages at all].
> Although Google of course has its own commercial reasons for doing this,
> it doesn't prevent me for liking the approach. It is probably quite
> cost-low for Google, as they use free translations provided by users. I
> have even corrected some of the spelling mistakes in Danish, and will be
> curious to see if they are corrected.

If you watch(ed) Stak Trek on occasions, you will(would) know what Klingon
is about. It also makes good geek humour, maybe as part of the Slashdot
subculture. There was a funny Frasier episode where Kelsie Grammar
unknowingly memorised a phrased in 'Klingon'.

Roy S. Schestowitz        Useless fact: 21978 x 4 = 21978 backwards