Re: Dabs Linux Box

__/ On Friday 12 August 2005 15:04, [ac] wrote : \__

> ac wrote:
>> I have just noticed that Dabs are selling a mandrake 9.2 box for 140 uk
>> pounds ext vat (no monitor). Very basic spec, but useful if it gets a
>> bit of publicity. It is th efrst time I hav eseen thenm sell a linux pc
>> - is it a first for them?
>> www.dabs.co.uk
>> quicklinx 3QV3WS
>
> As fate had it, I have been faced with an immediate need for a new PC -
> so - I bought one of these(!)
> Quick and easy and a lot simpler in my timescale than replacing a
> mainboard and CPU etc.
>
> Dabs.co.uk online order - 9.30 am Thursday - delivered 8am following day
> (today)!
>
> Summary - am very pleased with it, seems to work well, still testing
> etc. See details of my observations below.

ac,

Thanks for posting about your experience. I was in need for a new machine
myself so I have ordered the box and accumulated all of your comments in a
text file, which I am sure to use later. My sister will inherit the
almost-6-year-old laptop...

ADVICE NEEDED

Is there any way of getting Mandriva on this machine without CD burning
facilities? If not, will Ubuntu Warty Warthog be considered an upgrade from
Mandrake 9.2? I have the Ubuntu CD at home and I don't mind GNOME. All I
need this machine for is SSH to other (SuSE 8.2) boxes. I also will use it
to browser while I dine and listen to music (XMMS and Firefox).
Applications will /not/ run locally so this is not a concern. I don't need
bloat. Will Mandrake 9.2 just be fine? Ubuntu? Latest Mandriva? SuSE 10
beta 3?

Roy

PS - I see the potential for this message turning into a wee distro
argument, but as I said I do not look for the /best/ distro overall. I just
need reliability and some very, very basic things. Everything else will be
done remotely.