Re: Linux Becomes Female?

Roy Schestowitz wrote:

>> ... but those aren't issues with the name "sounding feminine". They are
>> issues with using software which isn't the market leader.

> Exactly,

So the name is entirely irrelevent.

> like a big budget movie with a story that goes nowhere versus a
> modest film with plenty of essence. Which one attract more viewers?

Eh? How is "The name of a piece of software used to create a website" in any
way like that? A closer analogy would be to compare two films based on the
brand of camera used to film them. The cinema going public doesn't give a
monkeys about the camera, only the results.

>>> I can assure you that Professor John Smith (made up) does not want to
>>> stand up at the podium using Firefox in front of an audience of
>>> Microsoft-centric seniors.

>> ... and changing the name will help - how?

> As another analogy, think of someone who is employed as "IT support staff"
> but describes him/herself as a computer engineer/professionals/whatever
> (MCSE (MacDonald's Certified Sandwich Engineer) comes to mind). People
> like the professional soundings of names.

Like "Dreamweaver", "Vista", "ME", "Windows", and so on? They don't sound
any more "professional" to me.

--
David Dorward       <http://blog.dorward.me.uk/>   <http://dorward.me.uk/>
                     Home is where the ~/.bashrc is