Re: Available news readers

On Sun, 28 Aug 2005 22:19:28 UTC, Roy Schestowitz
<newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> opined:
> __/ On Sunday 28 August 2005 19:48, [Stan Goodman] wrote : \__
>
> > I have been examining a number of offline newsreaders for my newly
> > installed SUSE v9.3. So far, I don't really like any of them. The best
> > to date seems to be Pan, which has most of the characteristics I seek.
> > The two important ones that it lacks are an adequate user guide or
> > help system (amazing for a program this complex) and a group
> > preference facility (it has a very rudimentary one). There are many
> > other newsreaders mentioned on sites that carry lists of Linux apps;
> > most of these are abandoned, usually in early stages of development. I
> > would really like to have something I can use.
> >
> > I would be very grateful for any suggestions for a news client that
> > has been developed to the point of actual usability, that will support
> > multiple servers, that will allow me to set up e.g. different
> > signatures for different groups, and that has a help system or user
> > guide adequate to show the user how to exploit its non-intuitive
> > features, I would be very grateful.
>
> While I am not entirely certain about help and tutorials, KNode (should be
> included in your SuSE installation: Launcher -> Internet -> Communication)
> does everything you mention above to a greater or lesser extent. I believe
> that the KDE site, being well-maintained in comparison to most, will
> include a KNode 'crash course'. I still believe trial-and-error is often
> the best way of learning and getting better-orientated. I am sure you are
> well beyond the level of top-posting, so you'll get along just fine,
> learning one feature at the time.
>
> Roy

Different people learn in different ways. Clearly, many _nix people
are comfortable with the method that you describe. I don't know that
this is a reason to advocate it for everyone.

Knode  is indeed installed, and I tried it the first day the
installation
was up. In the absence of a local server, which I have been
trying to avoid having to deal with, it is not nearly as capable
as you say. It begins to appear that I will have to go with a local
server, so that the combination will fill the bill.

Thanks...

--
Stan Goodman
Qiryat Tiv'on