Re: Is and Are

__/ [Miguel Cruz] on Monday 29 August 2005 18:59 \__

> Roy Schestowitz  <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> Example #4: (Rare spelling -- look at letters carefully)
>>
>> Bad title for PR5 site: Google Criticise Microsoft
>> better title: Google Criticize Microsoft
>
> In American English something that acts as one is singular, so "Google
> Criticizes Microsoft".

There are arguments that go both way and I end up confused, much like many.

You would find many that argue for e.g. "Google are great" while others will
insist on "Google /is/ great".

Likewise, there are issues with punctuation. My supervisor insists on commas
being a sensible thing before the word "and", backed up by books that were
published by linguists. For example, take "I eat at Subway, Macdonald's and
Ben and Jerry's" versus "I eat at Subway, Macdonald's, and Ben and
Jerry's", which removes a possible ambiguity. I learn to just obey those
whom I work with.

Roy S. Schestowitz        "Lions are like hippie tigers"
http://Schestowitz.com