Re: Specific Titles

___/ On Friday 26 August 2005 08:25, [John Bokma] wrote : \___

>> My supervisor would say that titles are extremely important when
>> writing a paper because they determine whether the reader will just
>> skimp or actually go to the next level which is the abstract. I know
>> that long titles are tiring and are specific enough to make you
>> realise that they are not necessarily applicable to you.
>
> :-) OTOH, they can be keyword rich
>
> Learning and development in neural networks: The importance of starting
> small
>
> Cognitive Linguistics and Connectionist Models of Language Acquisition
>
> Grammatical Acquisition: Coevolution of Language and the Language
> Acquisition Device
>
> (Computer science is wonderful :-) )
>
> You can say they are one liner summaries.

Although it depends on the length of the paper, you can sometimes summarise
an entire paper in just a a few words. Long papers might involve several
separate studies or somewhat unrelated chapters without a single, cohesive
conclusion or aim. The abstract should be put in the front page, I think,
because it complements the page that is returned in the SERP without diving
into specifics.

>> Overstatements and generalisations help.
>
> The question is: do you want as many visitors as possible or visitors that
> actually come for the content on the site.

Good point. Well, you can occasionally use knowledge in one field and apply
it to another. Neural network and physiology is one example. Linguistic and
computer programming is another.

Roy S. Schestowitz        "No, I didn't buy that from eBay"
http://Schestowitz.com