Re: quicken and lighten up KDE?

__/ [Rui Maciel] on Sunday 04 December 2005 21:21 \__

> I've just upgraded to KDE 3.5 and the speed increase is notorious, which is
> always nice. Thanks to that, I started wondering if it was possible to
> tweak KDE to make it run faster and consume less resources.
>
> So, what tweaks can de done to lighten up KDE and make it faster?
>

> Thanks in advance
> Rui Maciel

For  a start, ensure you don't use any shadows and translucency effects. I
enabled  it at home (KDE 3.4) and it is quite unresponsive. I didn't  mind
it because I do no proper work at home, so I could use the eye candy.

I  always wonder how/if KDE 3.5 makes this more efficient. It is made  ex-
plicit  that  it's experimental (proof of concept almost) when enabled  in
KDE 3.4. Be sure to disable any form of animation and effects, which I be-
lieve  is  the  default behaviour not just under KDE, but also  in  'Doze.
Other  things that devour the CPU include bloated applications like AmaroK
(particularly when extended), so use XMMS instead.

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    "Software sucks. Open Source sucks less."
  4:25pm  up 5 days 13:52,  5 users,  load average: 0.81, 0.66, 0.66