Re: Ubuntu means "joke" in Swahili

__/ [John Bailo] on Thursday 08 December 2005 15:30 \__

John, I know you have just installed SuSE 10. You stated that in the SuSE
newsgroup. Since I use SuSE on two machines and Ubuntu on the third, I can
probably comment with a modest perspective.

> Ok, you guys have been pulling my leg for the past six months by telling me
> how great Ubuntu is, right?

Ubuntu is great. I can't recall /ever/ being forced to reboot. I have used it
for over 6 months. No obscure SIGSEV errors, no dependency issues, no
features (buttons and knobs) that you need fumble to reach for minutes. It
is very, very user-friendly. Comparable with the Mac.

> I mean, it's like in the Boy Scouts where they find a Tenderfoot and ask
> him to go find a "left handed windjammer" from the other troops at jamboree
> and when you go ask them, they laugh because there is no such thing.
>
> So, I decide to run the Ubuntu Live CD to see whether I can run Web
> Rhapsody via Firefox.
>
> I downloaded it and burned it using K3b.  It identified it and did the Md5
> checksums verification.
>
> I boot with it.   Well, first of all, the install program looks like
> something from the DOS 2.0 days!  It's all COWS and really crappy looking.

Yes! I agree. The kernel verbosity/panic at startup is no source of joy
either. Novell have done it significantly better, urging users to get past
the visually-unappealing installation stage.

> Then, it gets to the "Installers" step and starts saying it can't find
> stuff -- sorry, but if it passes the Md5 checksum, then it has something
> wrong with it.

Tough luck. I once had similar issues. I tried to install Ubuntu (third
installation overall) when I got similar warnings/error until I realised
that the Ethernet cable was not connected. Can't blame Ubuntu for my own
stupidity...

> So I manually skip that step and go to Network.  It reports that I have no
> NIC card, but that I might want to use "Firewire" -- I say no thanks and
> end it there (if it can't find my network card, I figure there's no way I
> can test a web site with it).
>
> Thus, my intuition about Ubuntu is confirmed -- it was designed by
> Microsoft aparitchniks to give Linux a bad name.

I prefer SuSE overall, but Ubuntu was said to be better by a panel of
reviewers. It topped SuSE mainly because it was free [1].

Bear in mind that your machine was probably 'designed for' and tested under
Windows. When machines get sold, which are customised for Ubuntu [2], no
such issues will emerge. For once I would like to see a glossy sticker that
shows a penguin and says "compatible with SuSE, Red Hat...". Some companies
are getting there [3].

Roy

[1] http://reviews.zdnet.co.uk/0,39023100,39237495,00.htm

[2] http://www.tectonic.co.za/viewr.php?id=595

[3] http://www.esysdistribution.com/ePCsouthasia.htm

--
Roy S. Schestowitz      |    "Software sucks. Open Source sucks less."
  5:25pm  up 1 day 14:36,  4 users,  load average: 0.24, 0.70, 0.68