Re: Novel's Linux strategy

__/ [Linønut] on Saturday 24 December 2005 14:43 \__

> After takin' a swig o' grog, Roy Schestowitz belched out this bit o'
> wisdom:
>
>> with  Dell  Computers stood in the way. The Computer Science, Physics  and
>> Maths  departments are Linux. The backroom servers are also *nix. The real
>> fight  is  over the public clusters (the 'Dell component'). Some  people's
>> long obsession with Word and Photoshop stands in the way.
>
> People get comfy, even with buggy software.
>
>> More  on more people on campus go for dual-boot though. SuSE is a  popular
>> choice. At the front desk we have a stack of Ubuntu CD's. Here's to a year
>> when Linux becomes mainstream in the user-facing area. Vista? I think not.
>>
>> http://chris.pirillo.com/blog/_archives/2005/4/26/624829.html
>
>    " Even as I'm watching the 2005 WinHEC keynote right now (which I
>    downloaded from a fan site, FWIW), I'm screaming at my screen!
>    The Longhorn demonstration was faaaaaar from impressive, and left me
>    NOT wanting more - but wanting to walk away altogether. Instead of
>    watching with awe and wonder, I'm watching with a very confused look
>    on my face. My brow is furrowed, and my fingers are slamming against
>    the keys of my keyboard at this very moment... I'm growing
>    increasingly impatient. "
>
> Funny, that sounds like our experience with XP on a large LAN.

I forgot to mention that Pirollo is an iconic figure among Windows
professionals; some would say he is a Windows Guru. If that's what he thinks
of Vista, go figure...

__/ [Linønut] on Saturday 24 December 2005 14:45 \__

> After takin' a swig o' grog, Roy Schestowitz belched out this bit o'
> wisdom:
>
>> http://chris.pirillo.com/blog/_archives/2005/4/26/624829.html
>
>    "Ubj pbzr abobql rire hfrf EBG13 Nalzber?"
>
> Just curious.

...don't ask *me*. Apparently, bad software does bad thing to one's brain.
Scientists say that when a brain ceases to be challenged or aroused its
performance gets degraded and it shrinks. Honestly. I just hope Linux
doesn't becomes any less sophisticated. It's too user-friendly already. Damn
those Cannonical and their user-centric elitism!

Roy S. Schestowitz      | Microsof(fshore)t Window(ntime)s Vista(gnating)
  3:15pm  up 13 days 22:26,  10 users,  load average: 0.25, 0.68, 0.59