Re: Floppy, USB and Palm

  • Subject: Re: Floppy, USB and Palm
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@schestowitz.com>
  • Date: Tue, 12 Jul 2005 14:29:08 +0100
  • Newsgroups: alt.comp.sys.palmtops.pilot
John wrote:

> Thanks Roy for your Reply.
> I have a USB Floppy drive but I don't know if Palms support USB.
> Unfortunately I have to be connected with an old machine that supports
> only floppy drive.
>
> John

Just to ensure I understand this correctly, you wish to transfer some
arbitrary data from your Palm to an old computer, right? Why not use
another, more modern machine as an intermediate node? Provided that the
modern machine has a floppy drive (not all of them do these days), it can
produce a diskette with data fed via HotSync, or even the Internet if you
have WiFi or bluetooth support in your handheld.

The new models from Palm have changed from the Universal Connector to USB (a
stupid move in my opinion because it makes older peripherals obsolete).
There must be convertors (physical wires) from USB to serial or parallel
port, which may be more compatible with the old machine. I don't know how
much effort and time you are willing to invest in this though. Are you
trying to back up your data on a second hard-drive? It is a smart choice if
that is the case.

Roy S. Schestowitz
http://Schestowitz.com