Re: Placing and promoting RSS feeds

  • Subject: Re: Placing and promoting RSS feeds
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@schestowitz.com>
  • Date: Tue, 12 Jul 2005 17:10:58 +0100
  • Followup-to: alt.internet.search-engines,alt.www.webmaster
  • Newsgroups: alt.internet.search-engines, alt.www.webmaster
John Bokma wrote:

> Ignoramus31199 <ignoramus31199@NOSPAM.31199.invalid> wrote:
>
>> I created four RSS news feeds for my site. They are there and they
>> seem to work. No one can see them because I am not yet promoting them
>> in any way. I know where they are, so I am subscribed to them to see if
>> they work.
>>
>> These feeds are script driven and are fed from a special SQL
>> table. The table is populated when certain content is added or
>> deleted.
>>
>> The RSS feeds are only useful for users of my site. They are of no
>> interest to people who do not intend to use my site (such as answering
>> math questions from children).
>>
>> I heard that having RSS feed is viewed favorably by internet gods such
>> as google. Is that true?
>>
>> Regardless, where should I place links to my feeds?
>
> Go to http://johnbokma.com/ and do "view source". Look at the head part.
>
>> Right now I
>> created a special subdirectory with a single page listing my RSS feeds,
>> with links to the feed XML files.
>>
>> Is that good enough? Should I bother with adding RSS tag to the
>> headers of some of my pages? They do it at craigslist:
>
> Yes, see http://johnbokma.com/firefox/rss-and-live-bookmarks.html
> Firefox users can subscribe very easy this way. IE7 will have RSS support,
> so plan ahead :-)

Your message arrived only a minute before mine and it contains almost
identical details to mine. I must confess that it was you who inspired me
to take advantage of live bookmarks. Time will tell if it has made much
impact. I suppose there have been no studies or surveys on this subject
unless I'm just narrow-minded.

Roy S. Schestowitz
http://Schestowitz.com