Re: Content of RSS

  • Subject: Re: Content of RSS
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@schestowitz.com>
  • Date: Wed, 13 Jul 2005 04:18:03 +0100
  • Newsgroups: alt.internet.search-engines
Ignoramus31199 wrote:

> On Tue, 12 Jul 2005 19:24:33 GMT, Big Bill <kruse@cityscape.co.uk> wrote:
>>
>> Largely owing to the CONTENT of those RSS's, let's not get confused
>> here.
>>

> That's an excellent point. It's the content of RSS that matters
> (beside the possibility thet SE's like merely having an RSS).

Subscribers would need a good reason to unsubscribe (if they ever will). It
is easier to just skip a subscribed-to feed that keeps updating. Removal is
done actively and people are lazy or reluctant, so don't be alarmed. Many
feeds that I subscribed to are shaded (hidden in deeper levels of the tree)
so I don't read them unless I have a good reason to do so.

>From search engines point-of-view, the handling should be similar to that of
standard Web pages.

> My RSS is designed to inform users of my site of new content submitted
> by other users, to which the subscribers could do something. For
> example, subscribers could be alerted that a new math problem was
> submitted, and then go and solve it.
>
> I have a few very intelligent math addicts on my site who love solving
> submitted problems just for fun. All I am trying to do is to make it
> as fun and addictive as possible.

Roy S. Schestowitz
http://Schestowitz.com