Re: RSS Autodiscovery

  • Subject: Re: RSS Autodiscovery
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@schestowitz.com>
  • Date: Wed, 13 Jul 2005 04:22:18 +0100
  • Newsgroups: alt.internet.search-engines
Ignoramus31199 wrote:

> On Tue, 12 Jul 2005 17:54:19 +0100, Roy Schestowitz
> <newsgroups@schestowitz.com> wrote:
>> Ignoramus31199 wrote:

>>> Did not think of auto discovery. Thanks.

>>> Thanks Seth. I would love to hear answers to your question.
>>
>> Auto-discovery is important indeed so it is worth checking if it
>> functions compatibly with news readers and feeds-related services. I
>> personally use RSSOwl as my feeds reader and it has an autodiscovery
>> facility that scans the site for typical feeds locations (it flags many
>> errors for the Webmaster to see. Ouch!).
>
> What would be those locations?

I'll need to check. Is it so important? Different clients will try different
locations. I know that Yahoo have some sophisticated way of discovering
feeds and it might be integrated into some browser add-on toolbar.

If you put an amber meta in your front page, feeds will probably be followed
and discovered. Also, if you add the RSS link to the page headers, you will
simplify discovery greatly. Not all people arrive at your front page after
all (links, search engines referrals, etc.).

Roy S. Schestowitz
http://Schestowitz.com