Re: Placing RSS feeds

  • Subject: Re: Placing RSS feeds
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@schestowitz.com>
  • Date: Tue, 12 Jul 2005 17:54:19 +0100
  • Followup-to: alt.internet.search-engines
  • Newsgroups: alt.internet.search-engines, alt.www.webmaster
Ignoramus31199 wrote:

> On 12 Jul 2005 09:20:15 -0700, Seth Russell <russell.seth@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>>> if you look at headers, you will see an "alternate link"
>>> tag mentioning the rss feed. That could fit into some of
>>> the pages on my site (the pages that present updated
>>> information). Should I do it?
>>
>> Yes.  These links are used for rss autodiscovery, the most useful way
>> to find rss feeds.  Many aggregators (eg.  www.bloglines.com) use this
>> for their quick one click subscribe buttons;  also that link is what
>> puts the "Add livebookmark for this page's feed" icon on the right hand
>> side of the Firefox browser's status bar.
>
> Did not think of auto discovery. Thanks.
>
>> You should also put some subscribe buttons on your page.  Take a look
>> on the right hand colum of  www.kbcafe.com/rss/ and also choose a page
>> that describes what these are all about.
>>
>> Actually I am also in the process of formulating how I am going to be
>> advertising my rss feeds.  Does anyone  have any suggestions as to the
>> best way to project rss subscribe buttons on one's pages ?
>
> Thanks Seth. I would love to hear answers to your question.

Auto-discovery is important indeed so it is worth checking if it functions
compatibly with news readers and feeds-related services. I personally use
RSSOwl as my feeds reader and it has an autodiscovery facility that scans
the site for typical feeds locations (it flags many errors for the
Webmaster to see. Ouch!).

While the issue of vendor-specific subscription and auto-discovery, have a
look at the top of: http://www.schestowitz.com/Bookmarks/local_feeds.htm  .
Feel free to copy the layout. I was inspired by Mullenweg and PalmAddicts
when adding these bits.

It is worth setting up a re-direction from http://xml.YOURDOMAIN.SUFFIX to
assign your feeds a more elegant URL.

Last but not least, I think people are most familiar with the amber XML
button so the RSS x.x button might only lead to confusion and hesitation.
It is worth placing such a button in a prominent place in most pages. I
personally only place them in sections where I generate pages on the fly
(Gallery, phpBB, PHP-Nukex2 and WordPressx2). Buttons are more painful to
add and manage (for example modify) otherwise.

Roy S. Schestowitz
http://Schestowitz.com