Re: MSN and Yahoo for Non-technical?

  • Subject: Re: MSN and Yahoo for Non-technical?
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@schestowitz.com>
  • Date: Wed, 13 Jul 2005 04:08:01 +0100
  • Newsgroups: alt.internet.search-engines
www.1-script.com wrote:

> Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>
>> In my main domain, I have never received many referrals from MSN or
>> Yahoo. I
>> have never had an explanation, but did not seem to care much either.
>> Are
>> there any well-known reasons why this may be? Google currently has ~100
>> times the amount of referrals from Yahoo and ~500 times the amount of
>> referrals from MSN. Google cannot be /that/ popular, can it? Judging by
>> 2
>> other domains of mine, it is not by /that/ far ahead either.
>
>> Any advice please? I am probably doing something wrong, strategically
>> at
>> least.
>
> Same results here:
>
> Google: 94.2% of search engine traffic
> Yahoo: 1.2%
> MSN: 0.6%
> AskJeeves: 0.6%
>
> SERPs on major keywords are much better in MSN and Yahoo than on Google
> (some come up like #1 in MSN, YAHOO and #9 on Google), and still Google
> dominates the traffic.

In that case, I can't be a tiny minority to be virtually ignored by MSN and
Yahoo. It's reassuring to know that.

I wish I had an explanation as to why other sites get a completely different
spread among search engines. These others sites are /not/ technical. Is it
possible that only non-technical people will wind up using Yahoo and MSN
for Web searches? I would assume so... and that alone is probably an
interesting observation.

Roy S. Schestowitz
http://Schestowitz.com