Re: Bombings and Afterlife

  • Subject: Re: Bombings and Afterlife
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@schestowitz.com>
  • Date: Wed, 13 Jul 2005 08:14:18 +0100
  • Newsgroups: uk.philosophy.atheism
jack.harrison@gmail.com wrote:

> It is apparent from some of the reactions to various postings I have
> made that I do not express myself clearly enough.  Maybe I should write
> at length but that results in boredom for the reader.
>
> The bombings were of course a result of disillusionment with western
> society.  But the point I was trying to get across was that without an
> irrational belief in an afterlife, the bombers would have been unlikely
> to be prepared to kill themselves in the process.  That would have made
> actually setting off bombs a great deal more difficult.

The dispositions described in the snippet below are not very radical, but
still has some relevance as they show the _dangers of believing in
afterlife_.

http://www.ocf.berkeley.edu/~liminal/papers/matsuo/kamikaze.html

Towards the end of the article:

"They (the pilots) simply accepted the nature of the war, and died in hope
of their loved ones life in this world to be better as much as the belief
in the afterlife being as satisfactory."

Also see - 1993 - Breaking the Circle: Death and the Afterlife in Buddhism.
                Carbondale and Edwardsville: Southern Illinois University Press.

These views are quite different, I must add, and just about any religion (if
not all) incorporate afterlife and at some stage in history had a nut
commit murder in the interest of afterlife indulgences.

Roy S. Schestowitz
http://Schestowitz.com