No Newline after 'date'

  • Subject: No Newline after 'date'
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@schestowitz.com>
  • Date: Sat, 16 Jul 2005 16:29:59 +0100
  • Newsgroups: uk.comp.os.linux
Excuse me for a beginner's question. Does somebody know how to avoid the
newline which strictly follows 'date'? I have looked at the man page, but
there is only 'date +%n' which can add extra newlines, yet nothing which
prevents that newline at the end of the output from appearing. I would like
to use something efficient (not a scanner which removes the closing
newline) because the command will be called every 2 minutes or so.

Thanks in advance,