Re: Formatting Hard-drives and Recovery

  • Subject: Re: Formatting Hard-drives and Recovery
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@schestowitz.com>
  • Date: Wed, 27 Jul 2005 16:22:55 +0100
  • Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.suse
houghi wrote:

> James Knott wrote:
>> I was recently working on some notebook computers, that had encrypted
>> hard
>> drives.  The intent was to protect corporate secrets.  As for doctors
>> etc., they are subject to privacy laws, that require them to protect
>> confidential
>> client data.  A couple of years ago, there was an incident in Canada,
>> where
>> someone bought a used computer that contained bank customer records.
>> While the disks should have been erased, before the bank released the
>> computers, encryption would have also prevented access to the data.
>
> The best way is to not sell the HD at all if there was sensitive data on
> it. The few dollars you make from it are not worth the risk, or at least
> sell them without an HD.
>
> If I have an HD I scrap my HD if I don't need it anymore or if it is
> broke.

Even a standard format will not be help and there are commercial (READ:
expensive) products that will do a repeated format, which is also
time-consuming. Like James said, it's not worth the few dollars. What kind
of person buys a hard-drive in order to scrape data off of it anyway? Too
much sapre time? When I bought my SD card for my Palm, the previous owner,
who had a Clie, did not even bother deleting the files from it.

Roy S. Schestowitz
http://Schestowitz.com