Re: Formatting Hard-drives and Recovery

  • Subject: Re: Formatting Hard-drives and Recovery
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@schestowitz.com>
  • Date: Fri, 29 Jul 2005 04:10:20 +0100
  • Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.suse
  • References: <jn2hr2-j65.ln1@penne.houghi> <dc54ct$28ji$1@godfrey.mcc.ac.uk> <kvihr2-kf9.ln1@penne.houghi> <dc59s9$3lr$3@nntp.itservices.ubc.ca> <3kmvqjFug07oU2@individual.net> <HKGdnW5dbpV__HvfRVn-sw@rogers.com> <dc5oji$2eau$1@godfrey.mcc.ac.uk> <VqidnTx4IO-CNHvfRVn-1g@rogers.com> <dc6v0k$2on8$2@godfrey.mcc.ac.uk> <oY6dnQksYrWg8nrfRVn-2Q@rogers.com> <v08kr2-ckj.ln1@penne.houghi> <dc88tq$1914$1@godfrey.mcc.ac.uk> <slrndeit2c.6kt.ibuprofin@compton.phx.az.us>
Moe Trin wrote:

> In the Usenet newsgroup alt.os.linux.suse, in article
> <dc88tq$1914$1@godfrey.mcc.ac.uk>, Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>
>>houghi wrote:

> It's not the only time that's happened
>
>>> The best way is to not sell the HD at all if there was sensitive data on
>>> it. The few dollars you make from it are not worth the risk, or at least
>>> sell them without an HD.
>
> One still has to dispose of the drive in some manner. In the USA, the
> DOD has established procedures for doing so. People with government or
> military contracts should contact the Contracting Officer's Representative
> (or equivalent) for very specific requirements that may apply to you.
>
>>Even a standard format will not be help and there are commercial (READ:
>>expensive) products that will do a repeated format, which is also
>>time-consuming.
>
> Have a look at the Bugtraq mailing list - if you don't want to subscribe,
> check your news server for newsgroups that mirror the list, SUCH AS
> mailing.unix.bugtraq  or muc.lists.bugtraq.  Over the past week or so,
> this subject (which has been discussed to death more times than you can
> count) was again brought up - look for threads with the subject "Peter
> Gutmann data deletion theaory?" (sic).  Gutmann, at the University of
> Auckland, produced a paper in 1996 entitled "Secure Deletion of Data from
> Magnetic and Solid-State Memory" which was presented at the Sixth USENIX
> Security Symposium Proceedings, in San Jose, California in July of that
> year. Try http://www.cs.auckland.ac.nz/~pgut001/pubs/secure_del.html as
> the source, but google likely will find dozens of mirrors. If you find a
> copy, make sure it has an 'Epilogue' section after the 'Conclusion'
> section, and before the 'Acknowledgments' and 'References' sections.
>
> 1. "Formatting" has never done a f*cking thing to the data on a hard disk.
> It's still there, period. Formatting destroys SOME of the tables that tell
> where the data is, but does nothing to the data itself.
>
> 2. So-called "low level" format, which creates the sectors, and tracks on
> a platter can ONLY be accomplished in the factory - and has been this way
> for over ten years, since zone formatting (variable number of sectors per
> cylinder to achieve uniformly high data density on the disk) became the
> norm. Modern drive electronics CAN NOT DO a low level format. This concept
> is a throwback to the days of MFM drives in the 1980s.
>
> 3. For data officially classified up to US Secret, the choices of
> degaussing, destruction of the drive, or a 3 pass wipe are acceptable
> methods for disk
> sanitation.   Source: DOD Manual 5220.22-M chapter 8 subsection 306.
> BUT, see your Contracting Officer's Representative if this _may_ apply to
> you.
>
> 4. For data officially classified above US Secret, the ONLY acceptable
> method is the destruction of the drive. Source: as above, with same
> caveat.

> [...]

Well stated!

Interestingly enough, the issue of formatting came up yesterday in another
newsgroup that I participate in. It appears as if many people begin to
worry about safety and security of their data these days; much more than
they did in the past. The IBM fingerprint authentication (IBM T42 running
Linux) was the point of focus in that discussion. Firmware avoids access
from another computer, fingerprint authentication (maybe key) enables
restricted access to data on the original machine/housing.

Roy S. Schestowitz
http://Schestowitz.com