Re: Avoid Switching from Palm to PPC

Toby wrote:

> On 2005-06-14, Debo <mddibern@student.cs.uwaterloo.ca> wrote:
>> RS> Back in 2002, I spent the first few months messing about with all the
>> RS> exciting features like Internet, E-mail and games. For the past 2
>> years all RS> I have ever done is what I got a PDA for in the first
>> place: scheduling and RS> music. I leave the rest to the proper 14+"
>> workstations.
>>
>> I bought a PalmIIIx a few years ago for 50CAD, and it was stolen about a
>> year later. I decided to buy a newfangled Clie TH55, and found that I had
>> the same experience as you: I messed around with the 'fringe' media
>> features for about a month. Now the only things I really use are the
>> to-do list and the datebook.

I can honestly say that I wouldn't mind going back to my M130. In fact, the
only difference would be audio capabilities missing. I only listen to music
via my Palm when I'm out -- perhaps half an hour a day, whereas I listen to
music on the desktop/stereo about 15 hours a day.

>> I have to admit, though, that the camera and the audio recorder are
>> extremely useful, despite the low quality of the resulting media. The
>> camera especially helps me keep a photo-essay of my life, which is sort
>> of necessary now that my memory seems to be slipping on me.

I totally agree on that. Have a look at the bottom of this <
http://www.schestowitz.com/Family_Photos/ > page. I use an inexpensive
Webcam to collect ~7,000 photos a year.

>> I find the wireless LAN access to be mostly useless to me... maybe one
>> day I'll find a valid reason for having it. Interfacing with the web with
>> only a stylus is frustrating in the extreme, IMO.

Wireless is usually available where it's unnecessary. It is not available on
the train, out in the wild, or in your back garden, for example. Anywhere
you get a signal, you can also get hold of a powerful workstation. Some of
these expensive PDA features are as practical as the neon lights that guys
install beneath their cars chassis.

> I'd like WLAN on my Palm so I can control the music in my house
> remotely via SSH. Sadly, I have a T|E, so that ain't going to happen for
> a while!

But if you're not at home, why open a shell for I/O that's not capable of
being forwarded via X? Are you DJ'ing the house from abroad? *smile*

Roy S. Schestowitz
http://Schestowitz.com