Re: If not wget then what?

  • Subject: Re: If not wget then what?
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@schestowitz.com>
  • Date: Wed, 22 Jun 2005 07:21:35 +0100
  • Newsgroups: alt.www.webmaster
Mark Parnell wrote:

> Previously in alt.www.webmaster, Heidi <blackcat2@gmail.com> said:
>
>> It seems I cannot use wget in a cronjob so now what?
>
> I would say it depends on the setup on your server. I don't have any
> problems.
>
>> I did a search to see if I could find the answer myself but came up
>> empty.
>
> It would help if you told us what you are actually trying to do. :-)

Put all the wget calls in a shell script. The shell script can then be
called from the single cron job. Not only does it work, but it also keeps
the crontab nice and tidy. It delegates permission to 'sub-scripts' which
have a meaningful context, e.g. back up hard drive, back up Web space,
check ranking and so forth.

Roy S. Schestowitz
http://Schestowitz.com