Re: PITA on Thunderbird

  • Subject: Re: PITA on Thunderbird
  • From: Darren Salt <news@youmustbejoking.demon.cu.invalid>
  • Date: Sat, 12 Mar 2005 14:02:11 +0000
  • Newsgroups: uk.comp.os.linux
  • Sender: Darren Salt <news@youmustbejoking.demon.cu.invalid>
I demand that Daniel James may or may not have written...

> In article news:<4231c9d5$0$8756$db0fefd9@news.zen.co.uk>,
> Michael Rozdoba wrote:
>> I've used Thunderbird since about 0.6 & am now on 1.0. I subscribe to a
>> few mailing lists, many of which refuse to add a reply-to line pointing to
>> the list, claiming this is broken behaviour.

> AIUI purists consider it broken behaviour to *alter* a reply-to line to
> direct replies to the list, but not necessarily broken behaviour to to
> *add* a reply-to line where none already exists.

That's broken too: the list software has overridden the default Reply-To
header content (i.e. that of the From header). That said, it's less broken
than the replacement of the Reply-To header...

Because of this mess with the Reply-To header, there are circumstances in
which MUAs (which know about List-Post etc.) must ignore that header. This
isn't good :-\

> See here http://www.unicom.com/pw/reply-to-harmful.html for the gory
> details.

> One list I use recently stopped adding reply-to lines because the behaviour
> was considred broken, and changed back in the face of the uproar from users
> who wanted the old behaviour back.

Do messages from that list have List-Post headers (or something equivalent)?
If so, then there's already sufficient information to allow reply-to-list.

If your MUA doesn't handle mailing lists, you should upgrade or replace it,
add support for them yourself, or ask its maintainer(s) to do so.

| Debian,     | s zap,tartarus,org            | Northumberland
| RISC OS     | @                             | Toon Army
|   I don't ask for much, just untold riches...

Why are there no polka dot M&M's?