Re: PITA on Thunderbird

I demand that Roy Schestowitz may or may not have written...

> Dave Liquorice wrote:
>> On Fri, 11 Mar 2005 16:39:49 +0000, Michael Rozdoba wrote:
>>> I subscribe to a few mailing lists, many of which refuse to add a
>>> reply-to line pointing to the list, claiming this is broken behaviour.
>> Me too, but I see it as a broken list...

> Yes, broken mailing list system probably. What is it run by? Mailman?
[snip]

>>> The response to raising this on the list/s is that one should use a
>>> decent mail client that provides a reply-to-list button.

> Decent = non-existent. I don't even think Outlook has widget named
> 'reply-to-list'.

Decent != non-existent. Messenger Pro has a reply-to-list function, and I'd
be surprised if Gemini doesn't.

> A list is a list. If works properly, its 'reply-to' address must always be
> the mailing list's, not the sender's.

No. If it's present, it must be left intact - the sender may use one address
for posting, but want replies directed elsewhere. List software which
replaces or adds its own Reply-To header is broken.

Reply-to-list should use (in order of preference) Mail-Followup-To, List-Post
(or an equivalent list-address-containing header, but *not* Reply-To), any
configured list address. If the mail software sees that Reply-To contains an
address which it recognises as the list address, reply-to-sender should
exclude that address and should include the From address if the address list
would otherwise be empty.

>> I don't think I have seen a "reply-to-list" button ever.

I see one every day. ;-)

>> Reply-to-all is another matter, that works.  B-)  You just have to
>> remember to edit out address's other than the list.

s/'s/es/ :-\

>> I hate the dupes you get from these lists when others use reply-to-all.

> Sometimes, if CC is void, 'reply-to-all' includes the OP and the mailing
> list only. [...]

Which may be wrong. It's definitely wrong if the message to which you're
replying has a Mail-Followup-To header which contains the list address but
not any address of the OP's.

| Debian,     | s zap,tartarus,org            | Northumberland
| RISC OS     | @                             | Toon Army
|   <URL:http://www.youmustbejoking.demon.co.uk/> (PGP 2.6, GPG keys)

"I didn't think he could live down to his reputation, but he did."