Re: User group check

"Roy Schestowitz" <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> schreef in bericht
news:dkd3ao$kb3$1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> __/ [Henk Oegema] on Thursday 03 November 2005 11:44 \__
>
> > How can I check if a particular user belongs to group "uucp" ? (I can't
> > access COM1 !!)
>

> I am not sure why you are referring to COM1, but to check which group a
user
> belongs to you can view objects that are owned by the user, e.g.

Because I need to connect the PTT of my transceiver to COM1 (/dev/ttyS0)

I have done:
# chmod ug+rw /dev/ttyS0
# ls -al /dev/ttyS0   (answer: crw-rw--- 1 root uucp 4, 64 2005-06-05 05:57
/dev/ttyS0)

Serial port permissions are often allocated to the 'uucp' group. If this is
the case, add your username to the approprate group

So I did:
# groupmod -A henkoegema(myusername) uucp

Still when I open the application which uses that serial port COM1 I still
get:
"cannot open PTT device '/dev/ttyS0': permission denied.

Henk