Re: Mouse Gestures - Linux (Was: Opera experience - update)

  • Subject: Re: Mouse Gestures - Linux (Was: Opera experience - update)
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 07 Nov 2005 01:32:58 +0000
  • Newsgroups: alt.www.webmaster
__/ [Els] on Sunday 06 November 2005 13:46 \__

> Charles Sweeney wrote:
>
>> Roy Schestowitz wrote
>>
>>> Like I said elsewhere in this thread, keyboard shortcuts are still
>>> quicker
>>
>> In itself, hitting backspace is just as quick as a mouse gesture to go
>> back, but if my hand is already on the mouse, the latter is quicker.

I put my other (left) hand over ALT and CTRL, so it is near all the keyboard
shortcuts. To use desktop gestures (like drawing an 'E' for editor), I need
to hold down SHIFT and use the button 3 on the mouse. It's slower than
CTRL+ALT+E, which achieves the same thing.

> I tend to use the mouse as little as possible, but with Opera I find I
> need to use it quite often, because I need to click on the browser
> before it will respond to any key strokes. I hate that, but so far I
> haven't found a non-mouse solution to it.

The reason for needing a mouse is usually focus. There are all kinds of
workarounds for using, let us say, Windows without a mouse. To get to the
taskbar, for example (if I recall correctly) you need to press the Windows
logo, then ESC, then hit TAB twice.

__/ [John Bokma] on Sunday 06 November 2005 16:07 \__

>> Like I said elsewhere in this thread, keyboard shortcuts are still
>> quicker
>
> Depends on what you're doing of course :-D. Blender is a modeller, so you
> have to use 2 (or 3) hands, one on the keyboard, the other on the mouse.

So I guess the combination of both is a healthy one. We would finally be
rewarded the day we break a hand or seriously hurt a thumb (very recently, a
friend of mine). Think of being able to do everything (apart from typing
without on-screen keyboard) with either a mouse or a keyboard alone...

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    Useless fact: sheep outnumber people in NZ
  1:20am  up 3 days 21:18,  4 users,  load average: 0.27, 0.34, 0.34