Re: Thunderbird - disabling 'mark message as read'

  • Subject: Re: Thunderbird - disabling 'mark message as read'
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 11 Nov 2005 14:56:42 +0000
  • Newsgroups: alt.hacker
__/ [Rico] on Friday 11 November 2005 06:17 \__

> A while back I posted about a couple of things that bug me about
> the overhyped Thunderbird - the most In-Your-Face one was the fact that if
> it provides a way to never mark messages as read, then I didn't find it.
> (Read: I think it doesn't)
>
> I've gritted my teeth for months to bear with that 'feature' and yesterday
> I must have gotten sick enough of it because something finally occurred to
> me and I went: "Screw You! *sets time to 'mark as read' to 50,000 seconds*"
>
> So... I said 'months'... would that be what they mean when they say
> "unintuitive"?
> because hey... I'm quite willing to accept that I'm the one who's stupid...
>
> Now... tell me... does ThunderBird have a way to disable 'mark message as
> read'? :)

...No intention of giving a fuckwit answer here, but if it is highlighted,
then it is be to be read, at least by definition. If you wish to mark items
as "undone", "todo" and the like, use keystrokes 0-5 to categorise them.
Select an item and then hit '1' on your keyboard. It works well for me.

Speaking of which, I am not entirely sure that Outlook Express, as just one
example among many, provides the option which you describe above. I can
recall that "number of seconds" variable, but I am not sure if there was a
corresponding enable/disable checkbox nearby. Don't forget that as well as
read/unread status, there is flagging, categories, urgency, etc. You can use
these as an alternative.

best wishes,

Roy S. Schestowitz      | LINUX - (L)ove (I)s (N)ever (U)tterly eXPensive
  2:50pm  up 8 days 10:48,  4 users,  load average: 0.31, 0.30, 0.24