Re: amaroK, Winamp and XMMS Development

On Sat, 19 Nov 2005 08:19:37 +0000, Roy Schestowitz wrote:

> __/ [Kier] on Friday 18 November 2005 17:42 \__
>
>> On Fri, 18 Nov 2005 17:16:37 +0000, Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>>
>>> __/ [Kier] on Friday 18 November 2005 13:07 \__

>>> It  is  my favourite KDE application at the moment. I love so many of  its
>>> album  management features, but I just wish it was slightly more stable. I
>>> still  use XMMS at work, but it requires quite a bit of manual handling of
>>> playlists  or  occasional "Jump to track". After AmaroK, XMMS  just  seems
>>> like  a waste of time and a significant step back. I raised that as an is-
>>> sue  in the XMMS users mailing list recently and it is still unknown  when
>>> XMMS 2 will come out. With Amarok, it sometimes feels like XMMS betrayal.
>>
>> It's a pity Xmms has remained static for so long. I suppose I have tended
>> to keep using it partly because it's very similar the older versions of
>> Winamp, which I very much liked, and because you can get some great
>> visualisations for it. But amaroK has surpassed it in so many ways now.
>> It's a shame, because Xmms is still a solid app.
>

> ...Seems to have been lively (in terms of development) until 2001 or so.
> That's what their Web site appears to indicate.

Yes, that seems to be the case. Perhaps the devlopers have simply lost
interest, or their time has been taken up with other matters. It would be
a pity to see it stagnate completely.

>> It does appear to have had its best days, though. Even the skins you can
>> get for it, nice though they are, are seldom new. Maybe the ex-Winamp
>> bloke should join forces with the Xmms developers :-)
>

> There  were  talks about Winamp for Linux. That was roughly 6  months  ago
> and,  if  I  recall  correctly,  I failed to see  traces  of  evidence  in
> winamp.com.

Maybe it ran into legal difficulties.

> I sure hope that something gets done on the issue. On the brighter side of
> things, AmaroK makes good (re-)use of XMMS plug-ins, visualisation in par-
> ticular.  In  that sense, maybe it can be considered a successor?  It  has
> merely  all XMMS features and, in that sense, it is its superset. Since it
> has  an XMMS-styled player (even mentions that explicitly), which does not
> have  to be bound to the playlist component, it is like XMMS, only extend-
> ed.

I can see I'm going to have to wean myself from Xmms :-) and really start
using amaroK for my all musical needs.

--
Kier