Re: amaroK, Winamp and XMMS Development

__/ [Kier] on Friday 18 November 2005 17:42 \__

> On Fri, 18 Nov 2005 17:16:37 +0000, Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>
>> __/ [Kier] on Friday 18 November 2005 13:07 \__

>>> I do like amaroK a lot, too, though I tend to use Xmms more often,
>>> because I listen to a lot of Shoutcast stuff, and I totally agree its a
>>> terrific media player and organiser. A great app with a bright future.
>>
>> It  is  my favourite KDE application at the moment. I love so many of  its
>> album  management features, but I just wish it was slightly more stable. I
>> still  use XMMS at work, but it requires quite a bit of manual handling of
>> playlists  or  occasional "Jump to track". After AmaroK, XMMS  just  seems
>> like  a waste of time and a significant step back. I raised that as an is-
>> sue  in the XMMS users mailing list recently and it is still unknown  when
>> XMMS 2 will come out. With Amarok, it sometimes feels like XMMS betrayal.
>
> It's a pity Xmms has remained static for so long. I suppose I have tended
> to keep using it partly because it's very similar the older versions of
> Winamp, which I very much liked, and because you can get some great
> visualisations for it. But amaroK has surpassed it in so many ways now.
> It's a shame, because Xmms is still a solid app.

...Seems to have been lively (in terms of development) until 2001 or so.
That's what their Web site appears to indicate.

> It does appear to have had its best days, though. Even the skins you can
> get for it, nice though they are, are seldom new. Maybe the ex-Winamp
> bloke should join forces with the Xmms developers :-)

There  were  talks about Winamp for Linux. That was roughly 6  months  ago
and,  if  I  recall  correctly,  I failed to see  traces  of  evidence  in
winamp.com.

I sure hope that something gets done on the issue. On the brighter side of
things, AmaroK makes good (re-)use of XMMS plug-ins, visualisation in par-
ticular.  In  that sense, maybe it can be considered a successor?  It  has
merely  all XMMS features and, in that sense, it is its superset. Since it
has  an XMMS-styled player (even mentions that explicitly), which does not
have  to be bound to the playlist component, it is like XMMS, only extend-
ed.

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    "Did anyone see my lost carrier?"
  8:10am  up 16 days  4:05,  4 users,  load average: 0.48, 0.37, 0.50